Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Manchester Road Race Report--A "Fantasy" Race

I'm actually a little embarrassed about it, but I had a "fantasy day" race at Manchester on Thanksgiving Day, running 30:47 and winning my age-group, the 60+ division. Before the race, I had been expecting something in the mid-31:00s and had said that anything under 31:00 would amount to a fantasy race. I'm chagrined about my effort, because I think I ought to be able to come closer to predicting my times. And when I run something faster than predicted, I feel that I sandbagged a little. In this case, however, I'll take the result; it was certainly hard earned.

After popping a couple of caffeine pills 40 minutes before the start, I went out in 6:00 flat for the mile. Too fast. My 27-yr-old nephew Jeff went around me at the 800, noting, "Either I'm running too slow or you're running too fast." It was the latter. After the mile, I basically suffered all the way to the finish, but apparently I managed to hold together reasonably well.

I've been thinking about winning an age-group award at Manchester for a long, long time. When I was a high schooler in CT, I won the high school division at Manchester, and I won the open division a bunch of times, but I never came remotely close to winning an age-group award. My friend Ray Crothers did achieve the one-race Triple Crown at Manchester, winning in the high school, open, and masters divisions. My victory Thursday in the 60+ division wasn't the equivalent of winning a 40+ masters title, which Ray did, but I'm going to consider it my own little mini Triple Crown just the same.

Don't get the wrong impression. I didn't do anything very special. The Manchester course record for 60+ is the 27:58 that Joe Fernandez ran in 1991. My time was almost 3 minutes slower. Fernandez came back 8 years later in 1999, when he was apparently 70, and set the record for 70+ at Manchester with an amazing 31:44. When you look at the top level of age-group records, you can only shake your head in astonishment.

I'll never be as fast as Fernandez and many others, but at least I can hope to keep on keeping on. I've run 44 Manchesters in a row now, so I'm still inching my way along to the 50-straight mark. That's how many Charlie "Doc" Robbins ran consecutively before he retired from racing. Speaking of Doc, we had a great "Barefoot Warmup" in his honor at Manchester, despite the cold, wet roads. And his daughter Barrie finished third in her 60+ age-group. Here's a link to the Hartford Courant story about the Warmup.

5 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice race! Please accept my occasionally-for-taste-coffee-drinker curiosity. About your use of caffeine pills: how do you determine dosage? To what extent (can you quantify, say in percentage terms?) do you feel they affect/improve performance? Caffeine is caffeine is caffeine, or is there any "premium" caffeine out there? Would you advise other runners to try and use it pre-race? For training? Thanks. It is interesting vis-a-vis your winning performance... Corrado

 
At 3:32 AM, Blogger Perry H. said...

Fantastic job! I finished well under my goal of 40 minutes with a 38:57 which for me is fast! lol. A nice start to what I hope will be a yearly event for me - the Thanksgiving ThunderCloud Subs Turkey Trot in Austin, Texas!

 
At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...


Caffeine  addiction

In this  article, we are going to discuss the importance of caffeine addiction and the  most important facts ictions in the world, just like  cocaine and marihuana. Caffeine addiction sometimabout it, as caffeine addiction is something we all must  prevent in order for us to be healthy and stay that way for years. We are also  going to mention some significant facts about caffeine effects and how caffeine  effects may affect our body performance considerably.

Caffeine  addiction is one of the most famous types of addes has been considered a lie,  but it is a really, because caffeine is a stimulant that becomes addictive  within a certain period of time. Interestingly, caffeine addiction shows up  when you are not expecting it, and it does not necessarily show up because we  want to. You can  more information for the Caffeine addiction in: http://yourcaffeineaddiction.com/


Pure caffeine is, chemically speaking, a plant-based alkaloid that stimulates the central nervous system in any living creature that intakes it. Biologically, caffeine serves as a form of pest control for certain plants like cacao trees, coffee shrubs, yuba mate and tea trees; it causes insects and other pests to fall down from the effects of over-stimulation. So, just like those pests and insects that I mentioned, caffeine also produces stimulation in our central nervous system, which usually makes us feel more energized, invigorating and active.


There is something called caffeine withdrawal, which refers to the sudden denial of us to consume caffeine, and it happens when regular consumers of caffeinated products may experience painful headaches if the body is denied caffeine. These headaches are caused by excess blood gathering in the area around the brain and sinus cavities, so without the stimulation provided by caffeine, the blood vessels shrink, restricting the blood flow. The traditional cure for caffeine withdrawal is to ingest more caffeine, which is not a healthy solution and this is also why many headache medications contain small amounts of caffeine.You can  more information for the Caffeine addiction in: http://yourcaffeineaddiction.com/

 
At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Cristiano Ronaldo said...

Watch all the Manchester United videos here Cristiano Ronaldo & Soccer Highlights

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous zbsports said...

Wow great race, you did a very nice report. This will be a very good reference for the runners.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home